The Gray House relies on volunteers to fulfill our mission. In an average week, 50 individuals volunteer their time sorting and distributing goods in the Market, supporting adult learners and spending time with the children in Kids’ Club.
In addition to the below weekly opportunities, individuals and groups volunteer for one-day and short-term projects such as painting, yard clean-ups, fundraising events and food drives. Between November to December, The Gray House will also have opportunities to help with our Thanksgiving food sorting and distribution as well as with our Christmas gift drive helping to sort, bag and deliver Christmas gifts.
**Please note, an application is not needed for holiday or one-time opportunities.
Volunteers are needed for the following shifts to help with our Thanksgiving food drive. To sign up for a below shift, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the date and time of the shift along with your phone number.
- Thursday, November 21 12pm-2pm: Assist with unloading, weighing and sorting incoming donations
- Friday, November 22 9am-4:30pm: Assist with unloading, weighing and sorting incoming donations
- Monday, November 25 8am-4:30pm: Assist with distributing food
- Tuesday, November 26 1pm-6:30pm: Assist with distributing food
- Wednesday, November 27 9am- 11am: Clean up and reorganize
The Gray House provided Christmas gifts to 805 children from their wish lists in 2018! Volunteers help us unload and sort toy drive gifts as well as “shop” for each child using their wish list from the gifts we receive. Volunteers with large vehicles are also needed to help us deliver the toys to some of the schools we partner with. Volunteers are needed Monday-Friday between December 9-19. Timing is flexible. Please email email@example.com with the days and times you are interested in helping out.
- Assist English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) students and basic literacy students
- Commitment: Minimum of 1.5 hours per week for 12 weeks during the academic year
- Classes occur during the daytime
- Daytime summer classes and evening academic year classes are also offered through our partnership with Urban Potential and take place at Trinity Unity Methodist Church in Forest Park.
- Training is provided and required
- Advertisement for AE Volunteers
- Assist children in grades 2 through 5 with homework and various interactive activities
- After school commitment: minimum of 2.5 hours per week for 8 weeks. Any day Monday through Thursday between 3:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. during the academic year.
- Summer commitment: minimum of 5 hours per week for 4 weeks (July 8-Aug 2) 8:15 a.m to 4:00 p.m.
- Volunteers must be at least 15 years of age and have prior experience working with children
- Must pass background check and complete fingerprinting ($35) prior to volunteering. To get started, please complete the Background Record Check Form and submit along with a govt. issued photo ID to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 413-731-0084.
- Sort, pack and distribute food
- Must be able to lift at least 10 lbs
- Commitment: Minimum of 2 hours per week between 12pm-3pm on Wednesdays, 8:30am – 1:15pm on Thursdays or 3pm-6:15pm on the second or fourth Fridays of the month
- Bilingual in Spanish/English preferred for Thursdays and Fridays
- Pick up donated food from Aldi’s on Boston Road in Springfield
For more information on current volunteer opportunities, please call The Gray House at 413.734.6696 or email email@example.com
In the event that you do not receive an email reply to your message within 2 business days, please check your spam folder or call us at 413-734-6696 to speak with a staff member.