The Gray House relies on volunteers to fulfill our mission. In an average week, 50 individuals volunteer their time sorting and distributing goods in the Market, supporting adult learners and spending time with the children in Kids’ Club. To meet some of our current volunteers, visit our volunteer spotlight.
In addition to the below weekly opportunities, individuals and groups volunteer for one-day and short-term projects such as painting, yard clean-ups, fundraising events and food drives. Between November to December, The Gray House will also have opportunities to help with our Thanksgiving food sorting and distribution as well as with our Christmas gift drive helping to sort, bag and deliver Christmas gifts.
Once you have reviewed the available opportunities, please complete our Volunteer Interest Form.
- Assist literacy and beginner-level English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) students
- Commitment: Minimum of 1.5 hours per week for 12 weeks during the academic year
- Volunteer on-site or remotely with flexible scheduling
- Training is provided and required
- Volunteer Instructor Tutor Code of Conduct
- Sort, pack and distribute food
- Must be able to lift at least 10 lbs. for sorting and packing, 30 lbs. for distribution or pick-ups
- Minimum commitment of 2.5 hours per week between:
- Wednesdays: 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Thursdays: 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. or 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Second and fourth Fridays of the month from 3:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English preferred for Thursdays and Fridays
- Pick-up donated food from local markets and vendors
- Assist children in grades 2 through 5 with homework and various interactive activities
- After school commitment: minimum of 1.5 hours per week for 12 weeks. Any day Monday through Thursday between 4:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. during the academic year.
- Summer commitment: minimum of 5 hours per week for 4 weeks between 8:15 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age and have prior experience working with children
- On-site volunteers must pass a background check and complete fingerprinting ($35) prior to volunteering
For more information on current volunteer opportunities, please call The Gray House at 413.734.6696 or email email@example.com
In the event that you do not receive an email reply to your message within 2 business days, please check your spam folder or call us at 413-734-6696 to speak with a staff member.