The Gray House is hiring for our Adult Education Coordinator position. We are looking for a caring, organized individual who has experience teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and is bilingual in Spanish and English to join our dedicated team. This is a part time, 24 hour per week position for the remainder of the academic year, ending on June 30, 2022. Please see the job posting below for additional information and instructions on how to apply.
Adult Education Coordinator Job Overview
The Adult Education Coordinator oversees the Adult Education program, which provides ESOL, literacy and other basic educational services to adult learners. The Coordinator is responsible for thinking strategically about the needs of the community related to adult education and devising and executing plans to meet those needs. Responsibilities related to the Adult Education program include performing assessments, teaching, developing a curriculum, recruiting, supervising and training staff and volunteers to improve the English Language skills of adult learners, as well as achieve the set goals and participation targets of the other specialized classes. This is a part-time, non-exempt position of 24 hours per week with an end date of June 30, 2022.
• Oversee Adult Education program development and ensure alignment with program goals and objectives
• Recruit and manage admission process of new students including follow-up, assessment and placement
• Recruit, train and manage all volunteer tutors
• Supervise and support volunteer tutors
• Provide orientation and introductions for students and volunteers
• Build and maintain professional relationships with students, staff and volunteers, and other community agencies
• Teach classes and cover for volunteers as needed
• Communicate program activities, changes and cancellations to volunteers and students
• Develop adult education curriculum and lesson plans based on student need and work with volunteer tutors to implement
• Data collection, entry and maintenance
• Establish, track and report on benchmarking data
• Complete paperwork including grant and program reports, as well as time sheets
• Assist with writing and reporting grants for adult education funding
• Communicate with the Executive Director regarding significant program developments, concerns with students, children or families, and challenges with volunteers
• Attend relevant community events, networking events and speaking engagements which may be outside of normal business hours, including evenings and weekends
• Assist with agency and facility needs including, but not limited to, providing tours to donors and volunteers, answering phones and door, and shopping
• All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
Qualifications & Requirements:
• Minimum of an Associate’s degree preferred
• Bilingual in English & Spanish required
• Knowledge of and experience working with ESOL adult students preferred
• Strong proficiency in video conferencing platforms, such as Zoom, as well as Microsoft Word, Excel, Gmail, and Google Drive required
• Strong writing skills required
• Strong organization skills and ability to work independently required
• Demonstrates willingness to do both menial tasks and take on more complex challenges
• Able to communicate with others at all levels, exercise sound judgment and have attention to detail
• The ability to work effectively with co-workers, volunteers, client, and The Gray House staff and board in carrying out the program and organization’s mission
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal, written, presentation, and facilitation)
• Strong organizational and administrative skills
• Must be capable of working under pressure in a somewhat disruptive environment, while remaining professional and exhibiting an upbeat attitude
• Demonstrates commitment to student development
• Demonstrates multicultural sensitivity with the ability to effectively and collaboratively work with diverse populations
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should submit their cover letter, resume and application (https://grayhouse.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Gray-House-Staff-Application-2019_FINAL.pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted through 12/14/21.
As part of our commitment to our values of integrity, respect and excellence; The Gray House is an equal opportunity employer. All employees share in the responsibility for ensuring that these values are upheld. With this as a foundation, employment decisions are based solely on merit and organizational needs and not on race, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, marital status, creed, citizenship status or any other factor protected by law.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.